The Century House Historical Society hosts musical, poetical, and theatrical events in the Widow Jane Mine.
A perennial event is the appearance of the Taiko Masala troupe, playing traditional Japanese music on huge drums, and combining that with dances and martial arts.
Another yearly event is the Subterranean Poetry Festival.
In addition to these benefit events, there are sometimes special pop-up event days sprinkled through the year to remind visitors to visit the site!
Here are some links to videos and sound recordings of past performances in the Mine:
- The 28th Annual Subterranean Poetry Festival, 2018 and The 27th Annual Subterranean Poetry Festival, 2017, curated by Chris Funkhouser. Hosted by PennSound. Recording: Chris Funkhouser.
- SextantWorks: The Mambo, an impromptu concert by Hassan Hakmoun and band (2014).
- The Mine Project – Dada Spill, July 2013 Experimental multi-media installation/performance and crowd project. Collaboration Mau Schoettle and Kate Hamilton, with 30 local volunteers. Data mining in the Widow Jane Mine.
- David Garland and his adapted Guitar
- George Quasha, Charles Stein poetry and percussion
- The Subliminal History of New York State: Rosendale (Society for a Subliminal State, 2006)
- Mortal Mortar Made of Death, choral shape note singing, projected cave painting!
- Sounding In Widow Jane Mine, with Lisa Barnard Kelley, Tina Paterson, Viv Corringham
- Mr. Martinson’s Science Room, by Wayne Montecalvo
The Widow Jane Mine is also used in Music videos, short and independent films, and even longer films!
- Angel Dust (2019) by Brandon Brumm – the story of Lucifer’s fall from heaven.
- After Her (2017) by Ali Migliori – A teen goes goes missing and her friend is haunted by the disappearance. An atmospheric sci-fi about the archetypal lost girl.
STARRING Natalia Dyer and Christopher Dylan White
WRITTEN AND DIRECTED BY Aly Migliori
- The Strange Ones (2018) has a few scenes shot in the Mine. The short it was based on (2011) also was shot there.
- Rise UP (2006) with rapper Alex Schein
If you or your organization would like to stage an event at the Snyder Estate or in the Widow Jane Mine, contact us at email@example.com!