The Century House Historical Society hosts musical, poetical, and theatrical events in the Widow Jane Mine.
A perennial event is the appearance of the Taiko Masala troupe, playing traditional Japanese music on huge drums, and combining that with dances and martial arts.
Another yearly event is the Subterranean Poetry Festival.
2019 brought more music with the new mini-festival “Hudson Valley Poetry Bands” , the Catskill Mountain Gamelan, and Mamalama y Andes Manta.
The Mine also hosted the Dzieci Theatre for a production of MAKBET.
In addition to these benefit concerts, there will also be special pop-up event days sprinkled through the year to remind visitors to visit the site!
Here are some links to videos and sound recordings of past performances in the Mine:
- The 28th Annual Subterranean Poetry Festival, 2018 and The 27th Annual Subterranean Poetry Festival, 2017, curated by Chris Funkhouser. Hosted by PennSound. Recording: Chris Funkhouser.
- SextantWorks: The Mambo, an impromptu concert by Hassan Hakmoun and band (2014).
- The Mine Project – Dada Spill, July 2013 Experimental multi-media installation/performance and crowd project. Collaboration Mau Schoettle and Kate Hamilton, with 30 local volunteers. Data mining in the Widow Jane Mine.
- George Quasha, Charles Stein poetry and percussion
- The Subliminal History of New York State: Rosendale (Society for a Subliminal State, 2006)
- Mortal Mortar Made of Death, choral shape note singing, projected cave painting!
- Sounding In Widow Jane Mine, with Lisa Barnard Kelley, Tina Paterson, Viv Corringham
- Mr. Martinson’s Science Room, by Wayne Montecalvo
If you or your organization would like to stage an event at the Snyder Estate or in the Widow Jane Mine, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org!