NRHP – Ruin Inventory – Area E


Ice House – [Map A, 4]

This ruin is located 150 feet north of the barn and east of the road leading from the Snyder house to the Century Cement plant. Built into the side of the hill, the first floor walls on the west, north and south are standing.

Compressor House – No. K1 – [Map A, 5]

This is thirty-five feet east of the ice house; its floor and foundation on the south and west are exposed. The large bluestone slab that the compressor was mounted on is also extant and on the site. The north and east part of the building is covered with dirt fill. In front (to the south)of the compressor house is a large, twelve-foot-high abutment with a stone marker dated 1898. There is a portion of a corner of a wall exposed on the east side of the compressor house; the exposed section is about five feet high and the rest of the building is covered by dirt fill.

(one contributing site)

Blacksmith Shop – No. 161 – [Map A, 6]

Fifty feet southeast of the compressor house, on the same level as the top of the kilns, a section of the foundation of the blacksmith shop is exposed.

Tramway – [Map A, 7]

There is a series of six concrete abutments on top of the kilns on which the rails of the tramway were located. About 150 feet north of the kilns are the remains of wooden piers and 75 feet northwest of these piers is a stone abutment. Further to the west, behind the Minnie Snyder house, there are additional foundations. These are the remains of a tramway that connected the Widow Jane Mine with the kilns. There is also about one hundred feet of rail between the kilns and the wooden piers.

(one contributing structure)

(one contributing site)

Mill. Engine House and Storage House – Nos. 169, 167 and 171 – [Map A, 8]

The first floor walls of these three buildings, which are attached, are intact along the north and east side of Tan House Brook. The buildings have been filled with dirt and a parking area covers the major portion of the engine house. This site includes the remains of the 1887 Snyder cement mill; the 1887 mill was demolished in c1912 and another cement mill is believed to have been built on its site. There is no evidence of the 1912 structure.

(one contributing site)

Storage House – No 179 – [Map A, 9]

This building, which was built over the northern end of the canal slip, had three stories. Theentire foundation for this building is exposed. The western wall ofthe first floor is intact for its entire length of seventy feet. The first floor has a concrete floor covered in most places by two to six inches of dirt.

(one contributing site)

Unknown – [Map A, 10]

There are several visible foundation walls on the western side of the brook, one of which is twenty feet west and parallel to the brook. There are also two sets of foundations between the driveway and Tan House Brook. Because they could not be identified more precisely, these foundations were not counted.