NRHP – Ruin Inventory – Area B


VICINITY OF THE LAWRENCE CEMENT WORKS SOUTH OF THE D & H CANAL

Dwelling – No. PI – [Map B, 1]

This was a one and one-half story dwelling. All of the foundation is exposed above ground. The building was built into the side of the D & H Canal towpath. Six feet of the west wall with doorway, six feet of the north wall, one to two feet of the east wall and two feet of the south wall stand. This site is thirty-six feet west of the waste weir.

(one contributing site)

Grist Mill – [Map B, 3]

This ruin is believed to be that of a grist mill from c1850 (based on extant materials); construction of a grist mill at this date was consistent with the continued agricultural use of the property throughout the nineteenth century. Because of the precarious location of this ruin, in part beneath an electrical substation and built into the bank of the creek, its exact period and use has not been conclusively documented. The foundation is exposed above ground; the walls are approximately twenty feet high. This building was demolished so that the site could be used for construction of an electrical substation in the late 1930s (the substation is a non-contributing feature of the nomination) and a good portion of the mill is located beneath the substation. This site is approximately 175 feet east of the waste weir.

(one contributing site)

Store House – No. 198 – [Map B, 4]

This was a 200 ft. by 75 ft.brick building. The main section of this building is under thesubstation. the southern sections of the building’s foundation andwalls are in very good condition. Under the store house was a water race, which was fed by the canal and the Tan House Brook. Approximately forty feet of this waterrace is exposed. This ruin is located next to the grist mill site.

Mill – No. 199 – [Map B, 5] 

This was probably the site of a Lawrenceville Cement Mill built before 1887. The southern walls of the mill are almost complete; east and west foundations are exposed. The northern section of the foundation is covered by dirt fill for a parking lot. A water race appears to enter the western side of the mill and exit to the east. This entrance and the western wall stand. Dirt fill has been pushed into the building and trees are growing atop the southern portion. There are several iron rods in this area that may have held a wooden sluice board to direct water to or from the mill.

(one contributing site)

Engine House – No. 200 – [Map B, 6]

The southern wall of the engine house is intact. A part of the eastern wall and eastern foundation is also intact. The water race exits into the Rondout Creek from the southern wall. The engine house is attached to the mill building and was probably used to generate steam power for its operation. Thenorthernportionoftheenginehouseiscoveredby dirt fill.

(one contributing site)

General Store – No. 202 – [Map B, 7]

Only a small section of the eastern foundation is above ground. There is a large pile of dirt over the site of the store building. The ruin is approximately twelve feet east of the engine house.

(one contributing site)

Carpenter Shop and Barrel Storage House – No. 203 – [Map B, 8]

The northern, western and southern foundations of this building are exposed to a height of three feet. Behind the carpenter shop are the foundations of a two-story barrel storage house. The southern, eastern and part of the western foundations are exposed to a height of approximately two feet. The ruin is located twelve to fifteen feet east of the general store and is denoted by a large flat clearing.

(one contributing site)

Tenement – No. 204 – [Map B, 9]

This two-story brick building, 20ft. by 40 ft., was located seventy-five feet east of the carpenter shop. The building was built into the side of the D & H Canal towpath. The east, south and western foundations are above ground three to five feet.

(one contributing site)