NRHP – Other Features


Roads and Paths 

Throughout the district, there are roads surfaced in macadam, with an aggregate length of 9,100 feet, that served the mines, cement plants, kilns, office and utility buildings. Thereare also over 12,000 feet of paths throughout the district. The main path leads northward from the Widow Jane mine on the east side of the Tan House Brook about 6,000 feet. There is a vehicular bridge over Tan House Brook and a foot bridge over the same brook. Both of these bridges are located between the Snyder homestead and the barn. Downstream from the pond dam, southwest of the barn, there is an aqueduct that the Tan House Brook enters, exiting once again approximately 200 feet downstream. The construction dates for all of these circulation features are not known; thus, these features were not counted.

Stone Walls 

Marking the northeastern boundary of the district is astone wall of collected fieldstones. This feature was not counted because of its relatively small size and uncertain date.

Electrical Substation – [Map 1, 32]

The substation is located at the extreme southern end of the district, between the D & H Canal and the Rondout Creek. The site of the substation was acquired by the local utility company in the late 1920s, along with a right-of- way along the tow path of the D & H Canal to be used as a corridor for a transmission line. An electrical substation was installed in this location in the late 1930s to serve the needs of the local populace; this substation did not serve the Century Cement plant, which received electricity through a bank of transformers located north of Route 213, west of the northern entrance to the Lawrenceville Mine. (These transformers are extant and contribute to the significance of the nomination [Map 1, 31].) In the 1940s, the utility company sold most of its right-of-way to adjacent property owners, retaining the site of the Rosendale substation.The extant structural steelwork and enclosure for the Rosendale substation may date to its installation in the 1930s; however, the transformers themselves were replaced in 1957. Because this substation was not associated with the industrial activity documented in this nomination and because the significant features of the substation are less than fifty years old, the substation is a non-contributing feature of this nomination. Beneath and slightly in front of the substation are the remains of a c1850 grist mill. The grist mill ruin is a contributing feature of the nomination. [Map B, 3] – see Ruin Inventory. 

(one non-contributing structure)